Monday, July 19, 2010

Monday Moment #78: a writing prompt for your work-in-progress

(If you’ve already read this then skip past all the italicized blah-di-blah and start writing.) Monday Moments are writing prompts for your work-in-progress. They are questions that come from my experiences and are my favorite way to find out more about my characters. I find I learn a lot. Some of it I use. Some of it I don’t. But I always, always get to know my character(s) better just by answering the question. I hope you do too. )

Competition! It's everywhere, at every age.

And how 'bout this idea of one-upping? It's fascinating to me, and in certain degrees, I think we've all been guilty of it a time or two. Maybe three.

I witnessed a humorous incident of one-upsmanship at the pool as my girlies were taking swimming lessons. Three young girls (maybe five-ish) were edging their way along the side, having this conversation:

Girl One: You know, I'm not very good at seeing.
-then a pause...
Girl One: I'm not very good at hearing either.
Girl Two: We're not good at seeing either.
Girl Three: (agrees)
Girl One: But your only bad at seeing. I'm bad at hearing and seeing.

Now, if I only knew what started that conversation. It gave me a pool-side chuckle none-the-less.

How has your character one-upped or been one-upped?

2 comments:

michael said...

Just found your blog. Good question for the main character of my WIP. How does he one up? Hmm.

Anyway, it's nice to find another PT blogger.

Cuppa Jolie said...

Welcome, Michael. But first let me apologize for being such a horrible hostess. I do hope you'll return and say hello again.

And another PT blogger! Very nice to virtually meet you.

Thanks for the comment.