Monday, June 27, 2011

Monday Moment #124: a writing prompt for your work-in-progress

(If you’ve already read this then skip past all the italicized blah-di-blah and start writing.) Monday Moments are writing prompts for your work-in-progress. They are questions that come from my experiences and are my favorite way to find out more about my characters. I find I learn a lot. Some of it I use. Some of it I don’t. But I always, always get to know my characters better just by answering the question. I hope you do too.)


SCHOOL'S OUT FOR SUMMER! (sing it with me)
SCHOOL'S OUT FOR SUMMER!

But, oh man... I already miss school. I miss it in several ways.

I miss it as a teacher. I'm not a regular classroom teacher any longer, but I have been working weekly with a group of home-schooled students. I miss that. I wish I could keep working with them all year long.

Then there's the things I miss as a mom. I miss the routine the school year brings. You know, there's that magical time when the kids are at school and time belongs to me and not to the kids. Call me selfish, but I find that time rather lovely.Then there's just the regularity bedtime, and other schedules. Not that there's no longer a bedtime, it's just different.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love the warmer weather (the VERY little we've had of it) and additional time with the girlies, but...well, you know. I mean really, on day one they were ALREADY saying, "I'm bored."

Seriously!?!

I have to believe, that even for the kids, there is something about school that the they miss once summer hits. I'm sure it's different for each kid, but there's something.

What does your character miss about school over summer break?

1 comment:

Joanna said...

I broke up yesterday, a day early as Prince Albert of Monaco kindly gave us all his wedding day off. I miss nothing, yet!

I like the prompt, though, as I am just getting into a chapter book set in the summer vacation time and it could be good to work in something the three kids are missing.