Monday, June 21, 2010

Monday Moment #74: a writing prompt for your work-in-progress

(If you’ve already read this then skip past all the italicized blah-di-blah and start writing.) Monday Moments are writing prompts for your work-in-progress. They are questions that come from my experiences and are my favorite way to find out more about my characters. I find I learn a lot. Some of it I use. Some of it I don’t. But I always, always get to know my character(s) better just by answering the question. I hope you do too. )

I'm going to admit something to you right now. Well, it's no big secret, but it's something my girlies haven't quite put two-and-two together about.

Okay, here's the thing. I'm nosy, and I eaves drop on my kids day and night. Now, don't get me wrong. It's really not being nosy exactly. It's more about being concerned. And the concern isn't so much a daytime concern, but  a nighttime concern. See, the girlies have a bedroom upstairs and ours is downstairs, and if one of them were to call us in the night, there's a good chance we wouldn't hear them. So, we have a monitor in their room.

You might wonder, why not just turn it off during the day and give them some privacy? I have a very good reason why I don't. It's because I'll forget to turn it back on at night. You know how that goes! And I've done it before; turned it off and forgotten to turn it back on. And those are ALWAYS the nights they need us.

Alright, so I got all that out of they way in too many words to tell you only a few that I overheard this weekend.

Why?

Because they made me laugh out loud.

I'm in my room, when I hear my ten-year-old girlie through the monitor say to her younger sister:

"I like to write fart in cursive because I think it looks cool."

I had to try it out to see for myself. Ha! (You're going to too, huh?) I love hearing random stuff like that. Ah, but one of these days they'll realize and turn that monitor off themselves. *sigh*

How has your character been sneaky and why?

No comments: