Monday, October 25, 2010

Monday Moment #92: a writing prompt for you work-in-progress

(If you’ve already read this then skip past all the italicized blah-di-blah and start writing.) Monday Moments are writing prompts for your work-in-progress. They are questions that come from my experiences and are my favorite way to find out more about my characters. I find I learn a lot. Some of it I use. Some of it I don’t. But I always, always get to know my character(s) better just by answering the question. I hope you do too. )

It's still Monday, right? I'm still getting this posted on Monday. Just. In. Time.

It's been a bit nutty for me lately and the things that are burning hottest are the ones getting the water. It's that time year, and I'm guessing it's not just me feeling the heat. Your feeling it too?

We're less than a week out from Halloween and my kids still don't have their costumes. We finally know what they are going to be, but given where we live, I'm wondering when in the world (and where) I'm going to get the stuff to transform them. (The Halloween Fairy will come to save the day, right?)

Me, on the other hand. My costume is all ready to go. The funny thing is, that's not a joke. My costume: done. My kids: not. (Sorry, girlies.) But it's all for good reason and part of what's keeping me sane at a crazy time.

My gym launches all their new fitness classes (we do this quarterly) and we celebrating Halloween in the process. That means I've been 1) getting my workouts in, and 2) I have a costume ready to go. I'll be teaching my two classes (along with my teammates) as...

Drum roll
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

WONDER WOMAN!!!

It's fun and hilarious and I think our members are going to get a huge kick out of it, or should I say, kick out of us. (And let me just note, we have skirts instead of little briefs.)

But here's the thing, I feel brave enough to wear that costume in the gym with my teammates (who are wearing the same costume), but the thought of wearing it out to the Halloween party the next day makes me a cringe a little. I don't know that I'm brave enough to go out. In that.

What do you think? Should I?

I think this leads to a good question when thinking about our characters.

What is your main character brave enough to do in certain situations, but not in others?

3 comments:

Kirby Larson said...

Jolie, great prompt and you will look ab-fab in the Wonder Woman costume. I noticed, non-number person that I am, that this is prompt number 92 -- that means number 100 is coming right up. I think you should do something amazing to celebrate this incredible achievement.

Martha Brockenbrough said...

You have to wear the costume! My kids are going as zombie schoolgirls. They get to destroy outgrown uniforms. I think we'll spend all of 15 minutes on this, which is about as much time as I have!

Michèle Griskey said...

Yes, wear the costume! Make sure you post pictures.

My children are also going as zombies, but they are constructing their own special effects involving knives, blood, and some sort of cornstarch concoction for their hair. I'm sure I will be cleaning something up.