Monday, June 6, 2011

Monday Moment #121: a writing prompt for your work-in-progress

(If you’ve already read this then skip past all the italicized blah-di-blah and start writing.) Monday Moments are writing prompts for your work-in-progress. They are questions that come from my experiences and are my favorite way to find out more about my characters. I find I learn a lot. Some of it I use. Some of it I don’t. But I always, always get to know my characters better just by answering the question. I hope you do too.)


Have you ever emailed someone or recieved an email from someone and when reading their "email name" thought, Really? Or, I wonder what that all means? Or, I wonder what they were thinking? Or, hey...that's really cool.

Our email "name" can say a lot of about us. Sometimes they're just our actual name, or part of it (I have one of those), but often they're a bit more. I have another that is cuppajolie (at) which was created because of this blog name which was inspired by my love a coffee coupled with my name.

I got to thinking about this as my girls started to brainstorm names for their own email addresses. Unfortunately they came up with quite a few which were surprisingly already taken, but each was appropriate for them and their personalities.

Not all our characters will have an email address or a character might not use email in a story, but knowing what their email "name" or id would be can tell us something about them.

What is your character's email address (or what would it be if they had one)?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

.... or license plates. Black man driving a yellow convertible. License plate said "SUNTAN". Urologist's plate sez "IHELPUP". Some are a mystery.