Monday, December 14, 2009

Monday Moment #49: a writing prompt for your work-in-progress

(If you’ve already read this then skip past all the italicized blah-di-blah and start writing.) Monday Moments are writing prompts for your work-in-progress. They are questions that come from my experiences and are my favorite way to find out more about my characters. I find I learn a lot. Some of it I use. Some of it I don’t. But I always, always get to know my character(s) better just by answering the question. I hope you do too. )

'Tis the season to be jolly

Fa La La La La La La La La

Ah, 'tis the season for carolling. What a joyous, lovely thing.


NOT!

At least not for me.

But hold on. I'm not going all bah-humbug on you, it's just that, as much as I like listening to holiday tunes, I don't want to sing them. (Please don't make me!)

I have singing issues. There you go. I said it. Fully admit it. I don't know where they come from, but I almost don't remember a time I didn't hate to sing in public. It's truly cringe-worthy for me.

Even Happy Birthday. The only time I ever really belt it out is for my daughters, even then, I'm like, UHG, that's going to be on video.

So, when last week's school concert started with a sing-a-long, well, I'm sure you can imagine how I felt about that. As almost all other parents joyful belted out the holiday fa-la-las, I sat and smiled or whispered in the ear of my youngest. If I would have sung along, I'm sure I'd be mouthing the words.

What is a cringe-worthy activity for your character?

2 comments:

C. N. Nevets said...

Hmm. Choice question there. I tend to think "big picture" with my characters, whereas this comes down to the level of pet peave slash embarrassment slash irrational fear slash tell me when to stop piling onto your hangup.

Another good vehicle for through, Jolie!

Lee Wind, M.Ed. said...

What a great exercise! Hmmm, cringe-making, huh? Good stuff to figure out.
Namaste,
Lee