Monday, August 2, 2010

Monday Moment #80: a writing prompt for your work-in-progress

(If you’ve already read this then skip past all the italicized blah-di-blah and start writing.) Monday Moments are writing prompts for your work-in-progress. They are questions that come from my experiences and are my favorite way to find out more about my characters. I find I learn a lot. Some of it I use. Some of it I don’t. But I always, always get to know my character(s) better just by answering the question. I hope you do too. )


This Monday Moment is coming live from the SCBWI conference as Rachel Vail delivers a delightfully-charming keynote.

Yes, that's where I'm at. One of my most favorite places. The summer SCBWI conference. (We hope you're following TEAM BLOG'S live conference coverage and the #LA10SCBWI Twitter feed.)

Now, this conference contains one of my top five favorite days of the year (maybe we'll get into the other four another time...curious, huh?). Saturday is always the themed poolside gala. This year the theme was "Heart and Soul." Attendees arrived costumed and ready to dance (mostly!). It is the one night of the year I dance! I don't costume so much, just match the theme with some color. But I'm always terribly impressed by those who go out all out.



Here I am with the always wonderfully costumed Jay Asher (he was joined by Rachel Vail and Carolyn Mackler. What a trio of cupids.)

So, there are those who come decked out to win the costume contest, and those, like me, that are doing a little something to be part of it all. But then others who sit right in the middle, like Mike Jung.



Okay, so maybe Mike's costume was a bit creep, but he was a very nice guy.

The point is, you can go all out, you can join in, or you can scare people as they're trying to enjoy their giant heart-shaped sugar cookie. I guess there is a fourth option: not to do anything at all.

If your character was going to a costume party, how far would they go with their costume choice?

No comments: