Monday, August 16, 2010

Monday Moment #82: a writing prompt for your work-in-progress

(If you’ve already read this then skip past all the italicized blah-di-blah and start writing.) Monday Moments are writing prompts for your work-in-progress. They are questions that come from my experiences and are my favorite way to find out more about my characters. I find I learn a lot. Some of it I use. Some of it I don’t. But I always, always get to know my character(s) better just by answering the question. I hope you do too. )

Guilty pleasures!

I have 'em. We all do, right? Yes?

I just finished watching Big Brother. *head falls, a bit embarrassed*

So, I've never really tried to hide the fact that I love reality TV. I do. I really do. But watching some, like Project Runway or Top Chef, I feel I can justify a bit more. With Project Runway I'm fascinated by the creative process and seeing the end result. With Top Chef it's the food and I might just learn something.

With Big Brother, well, really...what good reason is there to watch it other than fantastic DOSES OF GUILTY GOODNESS?

Sure. I try to think of some. Like, I love to pay attention to character. It's true. I love watching the way people speak and interact and react. It's fascinating, and as a writer, I always feel like I can learn something from a cast of characters. See...I have reasons.

*pops another Hot Tamales in mouth*

Second guilty pleasure of the night. I admit it. I have a huge box of Hot Tamales right next to the computer and I've been popping 'em this whole time, even though certain friends make fun of my love of such candies.

So, I ask again. We all have them, right?

That's what I thought.

Then, so should our characters.

What guilty pleasure(s) does your character indulge in?

2 comments:

C. N. Nevets said...

My personal guilty pleasure is doing hard work and supporting good causes.

That and Japanese TV. *sigh*

As for my characters...

MC of Ennui and Malaise: daydreaming

MC #1 of Real Stakes: his father's pipe, a picture of his ex-wife, and Jim Beam black-label even though he can afford much better bourbon

MC #2 of Real Stakes: feels like her family is a guilty pleasure when she should be working 24/7 in the service of Law and Justice

Cuppa Jolie said...

Nevets - I'll give you Japanese tv (but really, how can you turn your eyes away from that stuff?) but the hard work and supporting good causes should all be guilt free.