Sunday, January 18, 2009

Monday Moment #2

Something a little new was started here a week ago. A new weekly feature--Monday Moments. You can check the first post out HERE.

Monday Moments are a chance for you to see some of the randomness that happens in my brain and with my writing. I've never been particularly fond of in-depth character profiles, where you answer question after question. But thinking about character and story as life happens around me is something I do often--no, all the time. Even strange, little quirks, like...


Monday Moment #2

So, I told you I would always let you know how the idea for the Monday Moment prompt came about. With this one, I sort of can and sort of can't. The other day, some thought or memory (that's the thing I can't remember...what was I thinking about?) came to me about something that makes me crazy. I don't mean in a major-worldly-issue way, but in a bizarre way that makes me cringe, or as I say, gives me the oogies (like for many, nails on a chalkboard).


For me, a nails-on-the-chalkboard moment, is eating out of Styrofoam (especially when the utensil has to scrape it). It's the scraping of the Styrofoam that gives me the oogies. I also hate eating off a wooden spoon. So you can imagine how much I love those little cups of ice cream that come with the flat wooden spoon. Together they equal major ooginess! I hate even thinking about it. OOG!

How about your main character... What's their nails-on-the-chalkboard? What gives them the oogies, making them want to shiver out of their skin?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting question. My MC is a high school senior who has a deputy for a dad, so he's seen all kinds of blood, guts, and gore from evidence pictures and heard about lots more.

How fun would it be to give him a totally unexpected oogie-making weakness. Hmm. Now to figure out what that may be...

WandaV

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

looking in mirrors

Michele Thornton said...

dark, small spaces.

And thanks for the blog about wooden ice cream spoons. The picture alone sends shivers down my spine!

Vijaya said...

Great feature ... love the picture your girls drew.
I have nominated you for the Kreative Blogger Award -- details on my blog. Hope you play.