Monday, April 20, 2009

Monday Moment #15

Before I jump right into Monday Moment #15, let me first say...I hope I'm on my way back. It's been quite obvious there has been minimal attention to the blog. And, believe it or not, there has been less writing happening. I'm so very much looking forward to getting back to work, to my writing schedule, to my characters, and to regular blog postings. (I actually have a post I started two Fridays ago, letting you know how the yelling worked, I've still not had time to return to it.)

(Here is where the technical difficulty came in. The post was written and done and ready to post before seven this morning. But for some reason, it didn't let me and when I returned to the post, all that was left was the first paragraph. Grrrr! Now I have to try and remember what the rest said and it will never be as good as it was, because that's just the law of things. Okay...on with it.)


My process with these Monday Moment prompts usually stem from something that happens in my life, or at least that has been the case so far. But I've been creating these prompts for myself for a long time and they don't always come from my own life. Sometimes they come from what I see on reality TV (yes, I watch!), scripted TV, or reading. I recently started Maureen Johnson's BERMUDEZ TRIANGLE. I love the way she described/introduced a character, a boy I'm sure must be a love interest. She painted such a clear picture of him and where he comes with very few words. My favorite description of him is, "...and his dark blond hair looked like it had been cut at home."


What physical attribute does your character have that speaks volumes about who they are and/or where they come from?

2 comments:

C. N. Nevets said...

Thanks for this prompt. It's a good wake-up call. I have a lot of characters are extraordinarily vivid in my mind. I was just searching through about a dozen of my favorites, looking for an example of this to share.

Only to realize to my embarrassment that I never really did this!

I have mannerisms that define characters. Clothes that define characters. And surely I have some good physical descriptions. But, at least in my survey of a dozen or so faves, I didn't spot any good examples of using a something physical about the person in this way -- no matter how vivid they are in my mind.

Oops.

Cuppa Jolie said...

You're so welcome, C.N.!