Tuesday, April 7, 2009

YELLING!


I’m just getting back to my writing. It’s been too long. I have much, much to do. Including a big, Big, BIG revision. *Deep Breath*

And, on my first day back, here's what I’m ready to admit...

I screamed at my main character today? I did. I’m pretty sure.

I wanted her to tell me what happened. I was asking her on the blank page—the most appropriate place to ask. Politely at first, until finally I typed, “TELL ME!”

Would you consider that yelling?

I have yet to know if it worked because I ran here to out myself. I guess I feel bad.

I’ll let you know. She has one hour to answer.

5 comments:

Wyman Stewart said...

Have you ever thought to ask your MC speculative questions by telling your MC here are some possibilites, do any of these scenarios seem to fit your situation? Poor explanation, but hope you understand what I mean.

However, screaming sounds like a good way to get a MC's attention. I'LL HAVE TO REMEMBER THAT ONE!!! Yes, does make one feel better, doesn't it? And if the MC is a guy, you can grab him by the shirt collar while screaming at him. Nice.

Kirby Larson said...

Jolie,

Maybe your MC has swimmer's ear or a bad cold so that your typing in caps was necessary b/c he/she couldn't hear well. I was reading that there are about 9 million icky things in the air right now, causing huge allergic reactions in even the most agreeable and helpful human beings. So maybe your MC is under the weather and is very, very glad you spoke up.

Lee Wind, M.Ed. said...

HA!
I love the time limit. What's the consequence for the character if she doesn't "spill" and tell you all?
Thanks for the laugh (and the idea...)
Namaste,
Lee

Cuppa Jolie said...

Thanks for the comments, Wyman, Kirby and Lee.

You know, I think more than anything the reason for the YELLING was my own stress unrelated to the writing. But now I've realized I said I'd tell you what happened and I haven't, so I'll go and do that now.

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

maybe just a firm discussion.