Monday, February 15, 2010

Monday Moment #57: a writing prompt for your work-in-progress

(If you’ve already read this then skip past all the italicized blah-di-blah and start writing.) Monday Moments are writing prompts for your work-in-progress. They are questions that come from my experiences and are my favorite way to find out more about my characters. I find I learn a lot. Some of it I use. Some of it I don’t. But I always, always get to know my character(s) better just by answering the question. I hope you do too. )

Flowers schmowers.

Card schmard.

All I got for Valentine's Day was a runny nose.

Although that is pretty sad, don't feel too bad for me. I'm one of those people who doesn't love getting some obligatory card or flowers or chocolates because a day on the calendar says it should happen. Somehow it doesn't feel very sincere.

It's the surprise gift or note or words that mean the world to me. The world!!!

But, I guess, sometimes you can even get those kind of things on days like Valentine's day. I guess I spoke (wrote) too soon, because my nine-year-old girlie did surprise me with something. She took one of my empty composition notebooks (have lots of those) and recovered it with plain paper, her art, and her words along with an inscription inside: I love you, Mommy. Yeah, that's the kind of Valentine love I like to receive. She knows my heart.

What surprise gift or note does your character get and what does it mean to them?

No comments: