Monday, April 5, 2010

Monday Moment #64: a writing prompt for your work-in-progress

(If you’ve already read this then skip past all the italicized blah-di-blah and start writing.) Monday Moments are writing prompts for your work-in-progress. They are questions that come from my experiences and are my favorite way to find out more about my characters. I find I learn a lot. Some of it I use. Some of it I don’t. But I always, always get to know my character(s) better just by answering the question. I hope you do too. )

First, I don't think I have any readers under the age of 12, but if I do, please stop reading now. (Yeah, I know...that doesn't make anyone want to stop reading, but I'm just saying.)

I hope everyone had a nice weekend, and if you celebrate Easter, I hope yours was lovely.

My hubby and I (sans kids) attended a friend's wedding on Saturday night. Since I knew we'd be out late and that I might have a glass of red or two, I helped the Easter Bunny get prepared for a late night visit. At my house the Easter Bunny leaves two empty baskets with a note to be found in the morning. The note leads the girlies to another and another until they find their baskets. The empty baskets are for gathering hidden eggs around the house.

After the wedding (and consumption of a glass of red or three) I returned home to don my ears and bunny tail. I must say I was very thankful I had it all ready to place before I left. That said, when I tiptoed into my girlies' room to quietly place the empty baskets and note, I proceeded to...
CRASH
.
.
.
BANG
.
.
.
TRIP

...in a so not graceful manner.

I stopped, let the quiet settle back in, searched through the dark for stirring blankets, and then heard the lovely sound of sleepy-time breathing.

Deep Breath!

I didn't blow it. Because, what an awful way to reveal the truth about a magical childhood belief.

When and how does your character learn an unexpected truth?

6 comments:

Jackee said...

LOL! This is a great story. My kids are too young to squash their beliefs yet, but I'll have to watch out for that soon.

This is a wonderful writing prompt and it's perfect for my WIP so I'll have to use it. Thanks!

Molly Hall said...

Totally laughing over here! That was so funny! I'm so glad they didn't wake up. I think Easter is one of the most fun times to be a mama. I love making Easter baskets and all the spring pastel sweetness. My kids know I'm the Easter Bunny, but they enjoy the enchantment of the day anyway. I love your tradition of creating a little treasure hunt!
The prompt will help me too. My main character has some unexpected truths she has to learn... Now I'm opening up my thinking about that. Thanks!

Dawn Simon said...

Super funny! I'm glad they slept through it. :)

I'm working on my protagonist's unexpected truth. I'm near the beginning of the story. Nice prompt.

Jennie Englund said...

Oh my gosh! A figurative AND literal stumbling!

Truth--yes, and the quest for it--I have to make sure I get that in...

Cuppa Jolie said...

I'm glad the story gave you all a chuckle! And super glad you found the prompt helpful.

Laura said...

Very funny!! We had Easter at my father's house, whom the kids refer to as Grandpa Bob. Since they didn't get to decorate eggs until Easter morning, they were pretty sure that my dad hid them, and they started calling him the Easter Bob. =)