Tuesday, September 16, 2008

So Good, I Think My Latte Smiled at Me

Yes, yes. I know. It is my office hours and I am blogging instead of revising. But, I have a good reason. Really! I have extended hours today AND I had a great revising day yesterday. I MUST share.

Happy, happy! Joy, joy!

After three days off, without one thought about the novel (it truly wasn’t possible), I wasn’t sure where my head would be when getting back to the revising. Well, let me tell you where it was…

WHAP! Right where it need to be. The writing felt good, natural. And unknown pieces of the puzzle were snapping right into place. It’s such a treat when that happens, like someone presenting you a perfect cupcake, just because. LAINI TAYLOR termed this fitting of the writerly puzzle piece, THE SNICK.

SNICK

SNICK

SNICK
(You must read about The Snick on Laini’s Not for Robots, plus so much more.)

But that’s how office hours went for me yesterday. Yummy!

I don’t know about all of you, but as I revise (and write the rough draft) I ask myself a lot of questions. I guess I don’t ask myself, I ask the characters and the story, especially when I get stuck. I literally ask by putting the questions on the page. I type out the stuff I wonder or want to know, and almost always what ends up happening, is I get an answer and it’s not usually one I expect.

Yesterday when I did the asking I got answers that made me say, Of course. Of course that’s what happened. But I also got, OMG, that’s what happened!?!

Plus I got to write a new scene, the kind that’s so good and so bad all at once. You know, the kind that makes you want to be your character but then you ache, deeply ache for them.

Ooh! It’s just too delicious when that happens.

Here’s to a day of snicking for all of us.

No comments: