Monday, September 21, 2009

Monday Moment #37

What do you have 37 or more of?

Really, I want to know.
So, I totally spaced getting a photo off to THIS social-media, savvy dude. He was asking for pictures of people's to-read piles. I replied with an, I'M IN! I took the photo and then promptly forgot to email it to him. Typical.

But look at all the cool ones Greg Pincus posted on his blog HERE.
Oh, and just because I have one, look at picture of me and Greg below. We're coordinating. (Greg will be speaking in Seattle in October. Don't miss it.)


This got me thinking about collections, because, for the most part, we all have them in one way or another.

As a kid I collected Precious Moments. Oh, and notes from friends. (Side note: Want to know something cool? I saved quite of few of those. Golden, I tell you. Pure gold.)

Now, I consider my collection my signed books. I *mostly* purchase books that are hardcover when I can get them signed by the author/illustrator. They are my jewels.

Okay, back to Greg's to-read piles. Personally, as much as LOVE the photo of Lee Wind's teetering pile and Jen Rothschild's headboard of books, I think I followed the rules when taking my photo. I only have books that I've recently put in the pile and I plan to read...soon (I hope)! Most are books that came back from the SCBWI conference with me. If I pulled all the books that I've wanted to, and still want to read, but haven't...well, let me put it this way...I didn't, because I'm too lazy and I didn't want to have to put them all away when I was done.

So, presenting my pile...

Your character(s) probably has a collections, too. It may not be important to his/her story, but even if not, what do they collect? And why?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

my character has a collection of gelato reviews, all of which he has written. i collect pearl jam bootlegs and have many multiples of 37. a literary collection i want to have - different covers of my favorite book, Chabon's Kavalier & Clay.

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

do facebook and twitter friends count?


hm - how about 37 rejection letter - ok its more than that - but cant a girl dream :)

Greg Pincus said...

I used to collect so much as a kid - though I think if I had two of something I probably called it a collection. I still have my bottlecaps and baseball cards, but many others are lost.

Thanks for the link and the picture. And I'll see you next month!

Lee Wind, M.Ed. said...

Rules? There were rules???
LOL
Um, actually, it was a sobering experience, pulling everything from my shelves that I really do "want" to get to...
Sigh.
Your To-Read-Pile seems much more do-able!
Hugs,
Lee

Martha Brockenbrough said...

I definitely have that many books (times many more). I also have about that many necklaces, which is why I have to keep myself away from Etsy. (Damn you, irresistible handmade items!)

Sherrie Petersen said...

I started collecting pigs after my mother told me my room looked like a pigsty.

I guess I could start a rejection collection, too :(