Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Member of the Year and the Golden Kite Luncheon

I still can't believe it. Really? Sara and I won Member of the Year? Everyone kept saying, "You didn't know? We thought you figured it out."

NO. I had NO idea. It wasn't until Steve started talking about two people and I felt eyes (and cameras) on me that I started to feel strange, nervous.

Okay...let me back up.

I was supposed to sit at the Team Blogger table, because HELLO! I was at the conference to work. But suddenly everyone was saying I needed to sit at the Western Washington table, up front, to cheer on the amazing Bonny Becker as she accepted the Golden Kite for picture book text. Totally convinced.

So it started like any typical Golden Kite Luncheon...

With rolls that look like buns on one side...

...lips on the other.



(Someone, somewhere has a picture of my bun lips and Martha's bun lips in a bun-lip lock.)

And yes, I was being this goofy, even with the wise and witty Karen Cushman (love her!) sitting in our midst.
Then the main course came...Lin Oliver's famous chicken (the Lin Oliver chicken count mention reached 10).

Then we engaged in some self-photography.

(Yes, you can pretend I'm giving you a hug!)

...Interesting nametag wearage.

And Jaime's video camera was ready (but Sara and I were still clueless!).

The winner of the Portfolio Show was announced.

And then (I think) our award came next. But really, I can't quite remember the order of things.

Here's what I know: I know that Steve started talking about the Member of the Year Award and that, at times, they give it to two people. This was about the time my face started to get warm and my veins started to throb. And I was thinking this can't be me and Sara because people KNOW when they get this award. Then I was thinking that I'm going to feel really stupid that I'm even thinking this could be me and Sara. But bodies must sense things because inside I was sort of freaking out. Then Steve mentioned bringing SCBWI to ALA for the first time in 2007 and I knew. My head turned and looked at everyone at the table (I think it was the first time I allowed myself to move...because remember I was freaking out but attempting to look cool). Then Sara turned (she was in front of me) and we locked eyes in an is-this-happening sort of way.

I believe there are a couple of videos of what Steve said and our reactions. Now that should be a kick to watch.

That fast Sara and I found ourselves on stage, plaques in our hands, saying something (I don't remember what we said).


When I got back to my seat to watch Bonny accept her Golden Kite...

And then Richard Peck be unbelievable, indescribable, and amazingly charming...
...the only thing I could think about was, what did I just say and did I have broccolini in my teeth on that big jumbo screen? I did ask, and friends assure me, that I did not and that what we said was great.

After, Sara and I posed for some pictures with the founders of SCBWI, Lin Oliver and Steve Mooser.

As the ballroom cleared and everyone moved on with their day, Sara and I did what all Members of the Years do (I'm sure!) with their award after they are honored...

We propped up our plaques on our beds and stared at them like giddy, little girls.

But let me say this, being honored with SCBWI Member of the Year is extremely meaningful. I truly love the organization and the people who run it--from the office to the regional advisors world wide. The three years I spent as co-regional advior were crazy, busy, fun, and absolutely rewarding. I've made the most amazing friends and SCBWI has provided me unreal opportunities. I'm so very grateful and so very honored.

12 comments:

Martha Brockenbrough said...

A minute on my lips, forever on my ... buns?

What a fun weekend. I'm so glad to have spent it with you and the gang.

BJW said...

Just incredible jolie. This is one of those awards where you know that it is completely deserved. I've never been to such excellent "organized" conferences, particularly regionally. You two really helped Washington make some noise nationally and there's a lot of people that appreciate it. Me included.

As for the buns, did you tell Martha to kiss your butt or what? Looked like you guys had so much fun. Dang, I really wish I was there to help you celebrate. Anyways, cheers! *ben raises his glass of milk*

And this is appropriate. My secret word is: barful

BJW said...

And so GREAT for Bonny Becker too, speaking of well-deserved...

Vijaya said...

Great pictures and you two totally deserve the award.Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful experience! Thank you for sharing, congratulations!

Dana Arnim said...

OMG - I'm so proud of you two!

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

congrads!

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

whats the story behind the chicken?

Lee Wind, M.Ed. said...

Jolie, Congrats again! It was so fun being on SCBWI Team Blog with you, and you are completely right about those buns/lips! Wow!
Great post,
Namaste,
Lee

Kjersten said...

Love the pictures. Especially the bun one and the awards on your pillows. CONGRATS again! You deserve it.

Sara Easterly said...

Awww... somehow I completely missed this after I saw your Blue Moon Ball pics Wednesday. Awesome re-cap, Jolie. I love reliving the whole thing through your fun pics!

Cuppa Jolie said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! And I apologize for being so slow in saying so.

xoxo