Friday, March 19, 2010

Crack Your W-I-P: Completely Unimportant Shenanigans

Happy Friday, friends!

So, I steal my title post from my bright and shiny 100th follower, Laura Atchison. Go check her out. Not only is she adorable, she has a great post with a suggested writing exercise that just might kick your writing into gear today.

So, how about some shenanigans here at Cuppa today. It's Friday. Do you know where I am?

Oh, yeah! That's right.



I'm sittin' by the brick at the Under Town. (I wish you were here with me.)

I was a bit out of sorts last Friday while here, but feeling stronger and braver today. That said, this place is PACKED right now! (If you missed previous brick shenanigans go here then here.) But I think we should band together and come up with a plan for the brick.

What should we put behind the brick?



I want your suggestions. Last week, a quote was suggested. But which quote? I've thought about including a note, which includes this site (or my email) so that I could meet the finder for a Cuppa. Then maybe I could feature them on the blog. Or maybe I could by a cuppa from the counter and the finder could redeem it and choose to replace it for the next finder.

Now, I don't want to distract you from your writing goals today, except that I really do want your thoughts. It will be much more fun if we can play with the brick together (you've been with me since the first pulling).

So, tell me, what are your ideas. (Oh, and leave any goals and successes you have today, too!)


**UPDATE
I thought there was new stuff back there.



Three new toys (ball, fish, and a top).
What should we put there? There's clearly some planting going on.

7 comments:

Jackee said...

Biggest success this week: a) not killing my kids during Spring Break, and b) getting that request from the agent I've had at the top of the list for years.

Failure: Said Spring Break has made my WIP stagnant.

Happy Friday! Tug at that brick for me!

Cuppa Jolie said...

Jackee - Your "B" is such GREAT news!!! Huge congrats. I hope that success will pull you WIP out of the stagnant phase. I fear my future might be the same as yours (spring break is nearing here).

Kerrie said...

I like your idea of giving the finder a free cup of coffee or you could put a question in there and see how many responses you get. ie. What is your favorite book? What is your favorite hot drink? How do you drink your coffee?

Then you can blog about the answers and it would be fun for us to read them.

Martha Brockenbrough said...

I think not killing your kids during spring break is always a huge achievement.

Let's see, for behind the brick, what if you put a dollar there and told the finder to give it to someone who needed it?

Or what if you wrote the first line of the story and instructed each successive finder to write a line after?

Or both?

I have written 13,000 words on my WIP in less than two weeks. Very proud of myself. This posting stuff is hugely motivating.

Cuppa Jolie said...

Here's my chance to put something behind the brick. What to do? What to do?

Think fast!

Laura said...

Hey, that's me! Thanks for the shout-out. It's so exciting to see myself mentioned on other blogs.

I like the idea of leaving a note for someone to be featured on the blog - maybe interview them about their profession and we could all use that as a writing prompt. =)

Hope everyone is having a productive day. After a long afternoon of interruptions (translated: kids), I am at a different coffee shop, still trying to finish edits to chapter seven. grrrrrr

Melissa Sarno said...

It scared the crap of out me that red fish/duck thing was in there because I have the exact same toy on my desk at the office, given to me by an old coworker.
Anyway...hmmm...you could put a teabag for all the non-coffee drinkers out there! ;-)