Monday, March 22, 2010

Monday Moment #62:a writing prompt for your work-in-progress

(If you’ve already read this then skip past all the italicized blah-di-blah and start writing.) Monday Moments are writing prompts for your work-in-progress. They are questions that come from my experiences and are my favorite way to find out more about my characters. I find I learn a lot. Some of it I use. Some of it I don’t. But I always, always get to know my character(s) better just by answering the question. I hope you do too. )

Okay, I admit it. Right this second, this very moment, exactly right now, I admit to you that I'm a total fraud.

Okay, that's a bit of lie because it might be "right this moment" as you read this, but I'll actually have been making this admission around 4:45 pm on Sunday. However, to you, it will look like 4:45 am this morning.

You see, most often (especially if you see a Monday Moment posted right away on Monday morning) I have really written it and scheduled it to post the night before.

So, this past week when Jane was so very impressed that I was up and working already, I really wasn't. That post went live while I was still cheek to pillow.

Here's what Jane wrote in comments: "Well how encouraging are you, Jolie? Up at 5am and blogging!"

Wasn't that nice of her to think that? Then I let her (and possibly you) believe it all week long! (Although, I will admit, as soon as I read it, I thought of this Monday Moment post, so I've been waiting to let you all in on the scheme.)

But isn't that just like human nature? One thing or another happens or is said that makes a person look good, perhaps in ways that aren't quite true or when the person isn't worthy of the praise or compliment, yet the person says nothing.

Has your character ever not fessed up to the truth-of-the-matter in order to make him/herself look better?

6 comments:

Bish Denham said...

Absolutely...taking credit even!

Jane Makuch said...

Oh Jolie,

I'm impressed that you know how to make something post at a specific time! (I'm so not technical) I'm also impressed that you're dedicated enough, and organized enough that you find time to write on Sunday's with a husband and kids at home.

I guess what I'm trying to say is the circumstance of the admiration may change, however the reasons for it stays true.

Jolie, you are encouraging. You've created a "check-in" system that keeps me and many others on track, and for that I'm grateful.

I think it's hilarious that you used the words "fraud" and "scheme" to describe your behavior... just goes to show how "unschemish" you are!

Love and hugs always, Jane

Martha Brockenbrough said...

Jolie, I'm going to arrest you tonight.

<3,
Martha

Laura said...

What I love about this prompt is that it's a wonderfully subtle way to give your character(s) a flaw. =) Thanks for the idea!!

How's everyone progressing on cracking their W-I-P? I finished draft 4 of chapter 7, but my original goal was to finish chapters 7 - 11 this month. How do you suppose that's going for me? LOL The good news is that I'm kicking butt on chapter 8 today. Onward!!

Have a great day!
-Laura

Cuppa Jolie said...

Sorry to be absent yesterday, friends. I was away from home and work ALL day.

Bish - Interesting. Might I smell a flaw? ;)

Jane - You always know how to make me feel so good. Thank you! Once again, I do have to admit that the scheduled post is quite simple and I'd gladly share with you. I have been told a time or two that I'm organized (maybe not quite as much as some might think) but part of the commitment I made to posting every Monday means I (usually) must get them preposted on Sunday or else I would have to be up and blogging at 5:00 and that's just not my best hour.

Martha - I was hoping for cuffs.

Laura - The good news is, you finished chapter 7. Let's celebrate that! Woot woot. Onward is right!

Roz Morris aka @Roz_Morris . Blog: Nail Your Novel said...

Great prompt! These little white lies can tell us so much about a character. (I'm surprised you didn't ask your readers to confess the fibs they might have told from time to time, but would anyone have told the truth....?)