Monday, March 15, 2010

Monday Moment #61: a writing prompt for your work-in-progress

(If you’ve already read this then skip past all the italicized blah-di-blah and start writing.) Monday Moments are writing prompts for your work-in-progress. They are questions that come from my experiences and are my favorite way to find out more about my characters. I find I learn a lot. Some of it I use. Some of it I don’t. But I always, always get to know my character(s) better just by answering the question. I hope you do too. )

Every time I step into a particular restaurant/place-of-entertainment, I tell myself I will NEVER go back.

But I have found myself back there sooo many times. In fact, I was there yesterday celebrating my nephews 6th birthday.

For some reason my girlies continue to be invited to birthday parties at this particular establishment. I'm sure you know the one: the host is a rodent, the food is eew, and the sound is beyond irritating.

Now, I'm a mom, so I totally (please hear the emphasis on the italicized totally) get why parents plan parties there. It's not in your house (no pre or post cleaning), they make the food, they provide the entertainment, it's a couple hours of your child's enjoyment, then you're outta there. Done! Pretty smart actually. Much smarter than the upcoming sleepover I have planned for too many eight year girls.

Still, the place is my nails-on-the-chalkboard of locations. We all have them, right?

Describe a place your character abhors being, especially if that place is one where others find huge amounts of enjoyment.

Crack Your W-I-Pers: Hope you're off to a great start this week, and if you're stuck, I hope you might tap into this or other Moments to get your fingers and mind moving. I'll happily meet you in comments for writerly camaraderie.

14 comments:

Jane Makuch said...

Well how encouraging are you Jolie? Up at 5am and blogging! I am totally ready to crack my WIP, I'll be here all day.

Jane Makuch said...

I've put my "Pencil tracker" as my laptop wallpaper. I wrote 1118 words today and had too much fun updating it.

I think I'm also going to make a wallpaper that scrolls "YOU SHOULD BE WRITING" like the character Rick Castle has on the show Castle.

How are you guys doing?

Laura said...

You're all up way too early, which means I'm already behind. =)

Cuppa Jolie said...

Thanks, Bish!

Jane - way to go. You're rocking it today.

Laura - You're not behind. My writing day is just beginning. I'm hoping for 1000 words today. Let's do it.

Martha Brockenbrough said...

I made a 1,000-word goal, too. I made it to 700 before life took over. Perhaps I'll find some time tonight.

I knew from your first sentence which restaurant you were talking about. When Lucy was little, she called it "Shecky's." It's a much better name for the place, don't you think?

Laura said...

How did you guys make that ticker?

Laura said...

I AM going to finish draft 4 of chapter 7 today. Thanks for the encouragement. =)

Megan Frances Abrahams said...

Thank you for this. My WIP has been whimpering from neglect and this prompted an immediate idea.

Cuppa Jolie said...

Martha - 300 doesn't seem to daunting. I have no doubt you can knock that out. And yes, that is a better name!

Laura - The ticker is at http://www.tickerfactory.com/ezticker/ticker_designer.php

And thanks for joining us.

Megan - You are so welcome. Comments like yours make my day! I'm so glad it sparked something.

Jane Makuch said...

When I was ready to sit and watch TV with the family I heard those character voices in my head and the evenings plan changed. I wrote another 900 words this evening and feel great!

Martha, I hope you pushed thru and wrote your last 300 words.

Yat-Yee said...

I thought I'd drop in and report that I have had to abruptly change gears. Instead of writing new scenes for my wip, I am now going back to the earlier, "finished"(ha!) MG novel and do some major revisions. Because of the nature of revision, it's hard to come up with a word count, so maybe I'll set myself a set time or something.

Keep writing.

Karrie Zylstra-Myton said...

Hi Jolie,

Just wanted to let you know that your Monday moments often make me laugh out loud. The rodent host was a particularly good one. I share these with my non-writer friends because they crack us all up:)

Cuppa Jolie said...

Karrie - YOU JUST TOTALLY MADE MY DAY. *smiles big* Thank you!!!

Karrie Zylstra-Myton said...

Jolie,

You're so welcome:)